Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Why my Life is [Not] Like Yours

Living in Buenos Aires isn't quite like living in Georgia. For starters, I live in a megacity that's more than twice as big as the A-town. Here's a quick glance at how life in BA compares to life back home.

Ways my life is different from yours:
1. I don't have a dishwasher; I wash all dishes by hand.
2. I use the metric system. A good day is 20°, I buy my milk in liters, all my food in kilos, and I measure speed in km per hour.
3. I don't have a car. I go everywhere walking, or in a bus, subway or train. I walk an average of 30 blocks (2 or 3 miles) a day.
4. I don't have unlimited texting, but I use What's App.
5. My church building is not as pretty as yours. We rent a one room building without air conditioning and we have to bring everything (instruments, speakers, signs) with us each week.
6. I don't shop at just one place. I buy meat, vegetables, bread, cereal, paper, and cup cake papers all in distinct stores.
7. I don't speak English.
8. I don't add sales tax to the price I see.
9. I eat dinner at 9 or 10, and I have merienda.
10. I rarely eat out, but if I do, I don't know the name of my waiter, and I only see him 2 times.

And, Ways my life is like yours:
1. I eat pasta, hamburgers, pizza, and sandwiches.
2. I drink tap water, or filtered tap water.
3. I drink coffee.
4. I go to Starbucks and McDonalds regularly, because that's where we hang out.
5. We're always on the look-out for free wi-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment